TO: All Principal Investigators, Administrative/Fiscal Officers and Employees
FROM: Nelson Sakamoto
Director of Human Resources
March 25, 2016 (Friday) has been designated as the official day to observe both the Prince Jonah Kuhio Kalanianaole Day and Good Friday holidays. Eligible RCUH employees (e.g., consistent with RCUH Policy No. 3.344 – Holidays & Holiday Pay) will be entitled to observe the second holiday as a floating holiday within the 2016 calendar year.
RCUH will allow Principal Investigators to exercise two options: (1) Designate the Floating Holiday for business/operational reasons and/or (2) Mutually agree with the employee to designate a Floating Holiday.
- Designation by Principal Investigator for Business/Operational Reasons: Principal Investigators may designate the date of the Floating Holiday for business/operational reasons. An example, designate the Columbus Day (October 10, 2016 is a Federal, but not State Holiday) as the designated Floating Holiday for project employees working with Federal employees at Federal offices or installations. Principal Investigators may designate a holiday for selected employees, based on business/operational reasons.
- Designation by Mutual Agreement: Allow employee and Principal Investigator to mutually agree on a Floating Holiday from March 28 through December 31, 2016.
Administration of the March 25, 2016 Floating Holiday
- Eligibility & Date of Hire: The “March 25th Floating Holiday” is only applicable to Regular status employee(s) (e.g., eligibility is based on RCUH Policy No. 3.344 – Holidays & Holiday Pay) hired (i.e., start date) prior to March 25, 2016.
- Payroll/Time Reporting: Use the new “Floating Holiday” Code on Timesheet = FHL to report the employee(s) use of the March 25th Floating Holiday.
- Holiday Pay Based Employee’s status on Date Taken: Floating Holiday will be paid at the FTE, pay rate, and project account at the time it is taken.
- Termination Payout of Floating Holiday: Your project will be responsible for paying out the FHL if an employee terminates his/her employment with your project prior to taking FHL. This payout will be part of employee’s final time report paid from your project’s applicable project number.
- Full day equivalent: No “partial floating holiday” will be allowed. The “March 25th Floating Holiday” will be used as a whole day work equivalent to the employee’s FTE on the date the employee takes the floating holiday.
- Year-end Default Payout: Employees who fail to take the floating holiday on or before December 31, 2016 (i.e., last working day of pay period 12/16-31/2016) will receive an automatic FHL payout. There will be no carryover of the floating holiday beyond the last working day of 2016.
Please contact me at (808) 956-6965 or [email protected] if you have any questions concerning the March 25th Floating Holiday.