RCUH Policies and Procedures
of the University of Hawai‘i
3.250 RCUH Dual Employment
It is the policy of RCUH to ensure that no conflict of interest exists between RCUH and another RCUH program or University of Hawai‘i entity.
To determine whether this type of conflict exists, and to prevent such conflict, a Dual Employment Form is required before an employee enters into concurrent employment at both the RCUH and the University of Hawai‘i (UH) or at more than one (1) RCUH program. The Dual Employment Form serves as an acknowledgement and authorization action form that prevents inappropriate conflicts in source of funds, work schedules, interest, and performance of duties.
Employment of an RCUH dual hire is dependent upon program/operational needs, satisfactory work performance, availability of funds, and compliance with applicable federal/State laws.
II. Responsibilities n Responsibilities
A. RCUH Employee
1. When applicable, declare whether concurrent employment with UH or another RCUH program exists.
2. Initiate and route the Dual Employment Form for appropriate signatures.
2. Adhere to the work schedule described on the Dual Employment Form.
3. Complete a new Dual Employment Form if there are any changes in the provision of dual employment.
B. Principal Investigator
1. Review the Dual Employment Form to ensure the appointment does not pose any potential conflicts in source of funds, work schedules, interest, or performance of duties.
2. Ensure compliance with the work schedule described on the Dual Employment Form.
3. Ensure the Dual Employment Form is kept updated at all times.
C. Fiscal Administrator (for UH Service-Ordered Projects)
1. Review the Dual Employment Form to ensure the appointment does not pose any potential conflicts in source of funds and any other conflicts of interest.
2. Determine if the dual appointment is allowable by the respective funding agency if over 100% FTE combined.
This policy applies to all RCUH employees, regardless of FTE or employment category.
IV. Details of Policy
A. Full Disclosure of Dual Appointments Is Required – The Dual Employment Form provides full disclosure of dual employment to all related parties. In the event of three or more concurrent dual employment relationships, the RCUH Employment Form (Multiple Positions), must be completed.
B. Full Disclosure Ensures No Conflict of Interest Between Projects – Full disclosure will ensure that the dual appointment between two RCUH projects, or between the RCUH and the University of Hawai‘i (UH), will not pose conflicts in source of funds, work schedules, interest, or performance of duties.
C. Provisions of Dual Employment Include the Following:
1. Normally, concurrent employment shall not exceed a total of 100% FTE.
2. Under limited circumstances, concurrent employment of more than 100% FTE may be allowed, with the approval of the Dean or Director of the specific college(s). When both appointments are federally funded, written approval from one or more of the funding agencies may be required. Written support and justification may also be required.
3. Dual Employment Forms must be kept current (i.e., a RCUH employee who holds lecturer appointments with UH must submit new disclosure statements every semester, as lecturer appointments are on a semester basis). Anytime there is a change to the provisions of the dual appointment, a new form must be submitted to the RCUH Human Resources office.
4. There is a one (1)-year maximum appointment period on all dual appointments, unless otherwise approved by RCUH Human Resources. If the dual appointment is intended to last longer than one year, the Dual Employment Form must be renewed annually.
5. Dual employment for individuals holding a graduate assistantship with the University of Hawai‘i requires (in addition to a Dual Employment Form) completion of a Graduate Assistant Petition to Work More Than 20 Hours form and approval from their supervisor(s) and Graduate Chair.
6. All dual employment appointments require both project’s Principal Investigator’s and Fiscal Administrator’s signatures on the Dual Employment Form.
7. Dual appointments involving two different Principal Investigators and programs where both are regular-status RCUH appointments requires pre-approval from RCUH and a modified procedure to process personnel and payroll transactions.
A. Procedures for Current UH or RCUH Employees Who Obtain Concurrent Employment With an/Another RCUH Program
1. The Dual Employment Form must be completed and submitted to RCUH Human Resources, prior to the start of the secondary appointment.
2. New hires determined to have a dual employment will be provided a link to this policy when completing their online new hire documents via the Electronic Hiring System (EHS).
3. New hires must download, complete (obtain required signatures) and submit the – Dual Employment Form to RCUH Human Resources by either scanning/uploading the form on the EHS or faxing, mailing, hand-delivering or emailing to RCUH (contact information provided on the EHS).
B. Procedures for Principal Investigators With an Employee Holding a Dual Appointment (where neither appointment is a regular-status RCUH position)
1. Principal Investigators must review the Dual Employment Form.
2. If the Principal Investigator is in agreement with the dual employment of his/her employee, and the appointment does not pose any potential conflicts in source of funds, work schedule, interest, or performance of duties, the Principal Investigator must sign the form, signifying the authorization of the nature of dual employment.
C. Information and Procedures for Dual RCUH Regular-Status Appointments (where both appointments are regular-status RCUH positions):
1. Fringe benefit charges will be split according to the % of total salary charged to the respective projects.
2. Individual time reporting must be completed by submitting two paper Employee Time/Leave Certification Forms each pay period. The form must be clearly marked “Dual Regular Appointment” to ensure it is accurately processed.
3. Both programs must coordinate work schedules for overtime compensation purposes (if applicable).
4. Personnel Actions must be submitted using paper personnel action forms marked “Dual Regular Appointment.”
VI. Contact Phone Number Email: RCUH Employment: (808) 956-7307 [email protected]
VII. Relevant Documents
Dual Employment Form
Employment Form (Multiple Positions)
Graduate Assistant Petition to Work More Than 20 Hours
Date Revised: 4/25/17