TO: Principal Investigators and Project Staff who assist new hires in completing Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification
The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has released the new version of the Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, effective August 1, 2023. Employers can use the current Form I-9 (form version 10/21/2019) through Oct. 31, 2023. Starting Nov. 1, 2023, all employers must use the new Form I-9.
This new version contains changes to the forms, instructions, and processes. Some of the changes to highlight:
- Form no longer an electronic smart form, prior enhancements removed
- Section 1 and Section 2 combined to one page, reduction of instructions from 15 to 8 pages
- Preparer/Translator Certification section has been moved to a separate, standalone supplement to use when appropriate
- Revises the Lists of Acceptable Documents page to include some acceptable receipts as well as guidance and links to information on automatic extensions of employment authorization documentation
- Authorization of an alternative remote examination procedure to physical document examination
RCUH Human Resources is focusing on reviewing the new form and its resources, which includes the alternative remote examination procedure. Ultimately, we strive to provide the utmost guidance and support in the implementation and utilization of the new form.
Please continue to use the prior Form I-9 (form version 10/21/2019) until we provide additional guidance and clarification.