RCUH Policies and Procedures
of the University of Hawai‘i
1.410 Direct Projects – State of Hawai‘i Department/Agency
I. State of Hawai‘i Department/Agency
Departments and Agencies of the State of Hawai‘i may request the administrative services of RCUH on projects where the flexibility granted to RCUH is essential to the success of the projects, provided that such projects are in accordance with the purposes for which the RCUH was established, Hawai‘i Revised Statutes (HRS) § 26-35 and § 304A – 3001-3011 and consistent with the State/RCUH Master Agreement and Amendment.
The department or agency must furnish to RCUH a concise justification and statement of the reasons for the need for RCUH services. If the project is accepted by RCUH, the justification and statement of reasons shall become part of the project agreement. The scope of work included in each project agreement shall be specific and consistent with such justification.
II. Governor’s Approval
Prior to submitting a request to RCUH, the requesting State department/agency (D/A) shall obtain the governor’s written approval for request of RCUH services. The governor’s approval is required for all requests, including amendments and supplements.
III. Periodic Review
The State and RCUH shall jointly conduct reviews of ongoing projects to ensure 1) the continuing appropriateness for using RCUH services and 2) compliance with the terms and conditions of the Master Agreement. A review shall be conducted prior to each project renewal, which shall be conducted at least every two years during the term of the project.
A. Initial Agreement
1. The D/A shall contact the RCUH Director of Finance for a meeting to discuss project objectives, goals, and the scope of required RCUH services.
2. If it is determined that the project is within RCUH’s mission scope and that RCUH may be able to assist, the D/A shall complete the Direct Project Request (State).
3. The D/A shall submit the completed/signed form and any applicable supporting documents to the RCUH Project Administration.
4. RCUH Project Administration shall notified the D/A of RCUH management’s decision after review of Direct Project Request.
5. If RCUH agrees to provide the requested services, the D/A shall complete a Project Agreement.
6. The D/A shall submit the completed/signed Project Agreement to the RCUH Project Administration for RCUH’s review.
7. If it is approved, RCUH shall sign and return the Project Agreement to the D/A.
8. Upon receipt of the fully executed Project Agreement, RCUH shall establish a
project account in the RCUH Financial System and notify the D/A.
9. The Principal Investigator (PI) shall complete, obtain appropriate signatures and
submit to RCUH Project Administration the following:
a. Signature Authorization for the PI to assign authorized personnel to the project. The PI shall submit an updated signature authorization form to RCUH Project Administration as soon as any change occurs, e.g. addition/deletion.
A new signature authorization form shall be submitted to RCUH Administration when a change in PI occurs.
b. Financial Portal Access Form for the PI to designate authorized project personnel to process and approve transactions online, and request that RCUH establish a log-in to the account for each authorized user.
10. RCUH Project Administration serves as the Fiscal Administrator (FA) for the project.
An amendment is required for any revision to the original Project Agreement, e.g., additional funding, extension of project period, change of principal investigator (PI), etc.
1. When an amendment is necessary to extend a project, the D/A shall contact the RCUH Director of Finance to notify RCUH of its intent.
2. RCUH and D/A officials shall discuss the appropriateness of continuing RCUH services, project status and concerns, if any.
3. The D/A shall submit the completed/signed Direct Project Extension/Continuation Request to RCUH Project Administration.
4. RCUH Project Administration shall notify the D/A of RCUH management’s decision after review of request.
5. If approved, the D/A shall complete the Project Agreement Amendment.
6. The D/A shall submit the completed Project Amendment to the Project
Administration for RCUH’s review.
7. If approved, RCUH shall sign and return the amendment to the D/A.
8. Upon receipt of the fully executed amendment, RCUH shall update the project
account in the RCUH Financial System.
Prior to the project termination date, PI shall:
1. Review the project account, process pending payments and clear outstanding encumbrances.
2. Reconcile petty cash funds and return the balance to RCUH Accounting, if applicable.
3. Turn in all credit cards issued to RCUH Accounting, if applicable.
RCUH shall submit a Final Expenditure Report and transfer controlled property and equipment acquired during the course of the project (refer to Policy 1.440 Direct Projects Property) to the D/A in accordance with the terms of the Project Agreement.
V. Relevant Documents
Direct Project Request (State)
Direct Project Extension/Continuation Request Financial Portal Access Form
Hawai‘i Revised Statutes (HRS) § 26-35
HRS § 304A – 3001-3011
Policy 1.440 Direct Projects Property
Project Agreement Amendment
State/RCUH Master Agreement and Amendment
Date Revised: 1/18/2017