TO: All Principal Investigators & Project Administrators
FROM: Renee Doi
Human Resources Manager
SUBJECT: Temporary & Intermittent Appointment Job Level/Pay Rate Matrix
The RCUH established a set of standards for temporary and intermittent positions that will provide PIs with a set of guidelines to ensure consistent pay rates for jobs within the RCUH. We are receiving requests for temporary and intermittent hires that range from very basic to very high level. Often times, the pay rates being used are not based on an objective criterion, and may cause a pay inequity amongst regular staff (i.e., temporary employee getting paid more than regular employee to do the same job).
Effective April 1, 2011, we will be using the new Temporary & Intermittent Appointment Job Level/Pay Rate Matrix to determine the most appropriate job title, pay range, and pay rate for all temporary and intermittent hires. This matrix is to be used as a guideline and will not be limited to only these positions.
You may find this Temporary & Intermittent Appointment Job Level/Pay Rate Matrix in our Policy 3.210 Employing People through RCUH.
How to utilize the matrix:
- Determine which position best fits your needs based on the matrix.
- Indicate the “Requested Job Title” on the online position requisition form (PRF) as it is presented in the matrix (click to view sample screen).
- On “Non Reg Hire 2” panel, copy/paste the description from the matrix into the “Brief description of work to be performed” box, also indicating the pay grade (click to view sample screen).
- Pay Rate: Based on the pay grade, you will need to determine the rate of pay. Similar to regular recruitments, if you are requesting a salary above the midpoint, you will need to provide a salary justification. RCUH will conduct an internal equity review to ensure that there are no pay equity issues.
NOTE: You will not be limited to only the positions listed on the matrix. You may utilize already established regular positions as a base model for recruiting temporary/intermittent positions.
In the near future…
- Implementation of this matrix to be embedded within the non-recruited position requisition form (NR PRF) online through the Human Resources Administrative Management Portal (HRAMP).
- Expansion of this matrix to be based on other frequently used temporary and intermittent positions.
Any questions regarding the procedure on initiating a non-recruited hire, please contact Sharon Vong at (808) 956-7307. Any questions regarding the Temporary & Intermittent Appointment Job Level/Pay Rate Matrix, please contact Renee Doi (808) 956-7241 or Branda Nguyen (808) 956-9847.