RCUH Policies and Procedures
of the University of Hawai‘i
3.234 RCUH Recruitment (Regular Hires)
It is the RCUH’s policy to ensure compliance with Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Requirements. Therefore, all regular job vacancies (except for visiting Researchers and Acquisitions, as approved by the RCUH Director of Human Resources) must follow the prescribed procedures with regards to initiating and posting a recruitment, and the receipt of job applicants.
A. Principal Investigator
1. Follow and comply with the prescribed procedures for recruiting a regular-status hire(s).
This policy applies to all Principal Investigators and/or Designees who are engaged in the recruitment for regular-status positions through the RCUH.
IV. Details of Policy
Principal Investigators and/or designees who plan to recruit for regular-status positions must follow the procedures described in the “Procedures” section below.
A. Establishing a Request to Hire for a Position
1. Obtain Attachment B Approval (for University of Hawai‘i (UH) Service-Ordered Projects only): All UH Principal Investigators must initiate and obtain Attachment B approval before hiring through the RCUH. The Attachment B process is a University of Hawai‘i requirement which seeks approval from the UH Office of Human Resources to hire through the RCUH. The Attachment B is initiated in the RCUH Financial Portal, which requires a username and password. You may contact the RCUH Accounting Office at (808) 988-8345 to obtain a username/password.
The Attachment B requirement does not apply to Principal Investigators of direct projects.
2. Initiate an Online Position Request: Create a position request through the RCUH Human Resources (HR) Portal. Refer to the HR Portal Position Requisition Procedures for instructions on the online system.
Required information for the online position request:
a. Information about the position (FTE, requested job title, requested salary, requested posting period, recruitment source, and project account to charge).
b. An RCUH job description.
c. “Special instructions” can be outlined in the text box provided on the Position Request panel (e.g., purpose of this job, short description of the project, how this job fits into your project’s organization, etc.)
3. Finalize Job Description and Job Classification: The RCUH Human Resources Department will finalize the job description, complete the job classification, and send it to you for final review and approval. Upon receipt of your approval, the RCUH will post and advertise the job as requested on the online position request.
4. RCUH Will Post the Job Vacancy:
a. Posting periods (minimum # of days): Job vacancies may be posted for a reasonable period at your discretion. However, in all cases, all vacancies must be posted for a minimum number of days as established by the RCUH. You may select from two minimum posting-period options:
i. Bulletin board posting (5 calendar days): Vacancy will be posted for a minimum of five (5) calendar days on the RCUH bulletin board and HireNet Hawai‘i. In addition, job vacancy listings are sent to all RCUH linkage agencies and program offices per EEO/AAP requirements.
ii. Expedited posting (3 calendar days): Vacancy will be posted on the RCUH bulletin board, the RCUH website’s job posting section and HireNet Hawai‘i for a minimum of three (3) calendar days. In addition, job vacancy listings are sent to all RCUH linkage agencies and program offices per EEO/AAP requirements.
b. Secondary/optional recruitment secondary/optional recruitment sources: In addition to being placed on the RCUH job vacancy bulletin board, at the project site and listed with the Oahu Worklinks (previously known as Hawai‘i State Employment Service) and linkage agencies, you may request additional sources of recruitment including, but not limited to, the following:
i. RCUH employment website;
ii. Other job-seeker websites (i.e., Craigslist, Monster, CareerBuilder, etc.);
iii. Local newspapers (i.e., Sunday Honolulu Star-Advertiser, which has high circulation in Hawai‘i);
iv. Various local, national, and international publications of general circulation;
v. Employment/job bulletins on project website
For a detailed list of commonly used publications (free and fee-based), please view the Common External Publications document found in the Relevant Documents section of this policy.
c. Advertising the salary: You may post the proposed salary with the one of the following options:
i. The official minimum salary (or corresponding hourly rate if a non-exempt position);
ii. A range (from the official minimum to the midpoint affordable rate);
iii. “Salary commensurate with qualifications.” This verbiage may be used if your project can afford up to or over the midpoint of the pay range. This wording may only be used for EXEMPT classifications. Projects will be restricted to paying within the specified pay range and must adhere to internal pay equity considerations.
B. Applicants Apply for the Job Vacancy
1. Applicants Apply Online: Applicants must apply online using the Job Search site (accessed from the Job Postings page off the RCUH website home page). Applicants may either complete the online application or attach a pre-formatted resume/CV. Applicants will also submit supporting documents (i.e., diploma, transcript, certificate, etc.) through the Job Search site. Applicants are able to add additional documents after their initial application by going back to their applicant profile, which will allow up to ten (10) attachments per job vacancy up until 11:59 p.m. HST on the closing date.
2. No Unsolicited Resumes/CVs – One Application per Vacancy: The RCUH does not accept any unsolicited resumes/CVs or applications. Only applicants for bona fide recruitments will be considered for position vacancies. An applicant’s resume/CV will only be considered for the specific job vacancy. All application documents must be labeled with the recruitment ID#. The RCUH will not consider the individual’s resume/CV for any other job vacancy (e.g., one application per vacancy).
3. Deadline for Applications: Applications are accepted through 11:59 p.m. HST on the closing date for the recruitment. Online applications must be submitted on or before the stated closing date. Applicants must provide an email address with their application document(s). Upon uploading the document(s), applicants will receive a “Receipt of Application” email from RCUH.
4. Applicants Mailing Applications Directly to Principal Investigator: Applicants should be told to follow the application procedures described above.
C. Selecting an Applicant for Hire
1. Refer to Policy 3.235 Selection of Regular Hires for details about the selection process.
2. Selection Approval and Notice of Regrets: Once a selection is approved by RCUH Human Resources and the individual completes the appointment documents (refer to Policy 3.236 RCUH New Hire Appointment Policy), the RCUH Human
Resources Department will notify the non-selected applicants of their non- selection. Principal Investigator(s) may request that RCUH Human Resources distribute the notices to non-selected applicants at an earlier date (i.e., in the event that there is a long list of applicants and the project wants those not being considered to be notified sooner).
RCUH Employment: (808) 956-7307 email@example.com
VII. Relevant Documents
Job Description Template
Position Requisition Form (for changes to online form only) Position Requisition Procedures (Regular)
Common External Publications
Human Resources Portal
Job Search Site
Policy #3.235 Selection of Regular Hires
Policy #3.236 RCUH New Hire Appointment Policy
Date Revised: 4/25/17