RCUH Policies and Procedures
of the University of Hawai‘i
3.236 RCUH New Hire Document Processing Policy
It is the policy of RCUH to ensure that related legal and regulatory requirements are fulfilled, to allow for adequate processing time to place an individual onto RCUH payroll and benefit plans, and to minimize possible employment liabilities.
The selectee must not start working until the RCUH Human Resources Department reviews the appointment documents and receives notice via email of the clearance to start. All selectees hired as RCUH employees must complete the appointment documents using the online Electronic Hiring System (EHS). Employment of the selected individual(s) is dependent upon program/operational needs, satisfactory work performance, availability of funds, and compliance with applicable federal/State laws.
This policy applies to all Principal Investigators and/or Designees who hire individuals through the RCUH. This policy also applies to all prospective employees who are being hired through RCUH (regardless of employment status or category).
A. Prospective New Hire
1. Complete new-hire documents using RCUH’s online Electronic Hiring System (EHS) as soon as possible. RCUH Human Resources will send an email with login information.
2. Contact your PI/project representative or RCUH Human Resources to complete the Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, in person. Bring original documents for review to properly complete Form I-9.
3. Produce any other required pre-employment and/or post-offer documents as noted on the final step on EHS and/or in RCUH Human Resources new-hire
4. Do not start work until approval is given by an RCUH Human Resources representative with an approved start date of employment.
B. Principal Investigator
1. For Regular Hires: After the job offer is accepted, access the Authorize Request panel of the applicable Applicant Review Selection Summary (ARSS), approve Step 5, and save action.
2. For Non-Recruited Hires: Initiate a hire request through RCUH’s HR Portal system.
3. Ensure the hire completes the new hire documents via RCUH’s online Electronic Hiring System (EHS).
Comment [DE1]: I think something might be missing here?
documents follow-up email
4. Ensure the hire schedules an in-person appointment with RCUH Human Resources to complete Form I-9, to verify employment eligibility. If the hire is unable to meet with RCUH Human Resources, the PI will be required to meet the individual to obtain and examine original identity and employment authorization documents, and complete Form I-9. PI must forward I-9 and supporting documents to RCUH Human Resources for review.
5. Do not allow the selectee to start work until approval is given by RCUH Human Resources.
C. RCUH Human Resources
1. Final review of Form I-9 to ensure compliance with applicable federal law.
2. Final review of all other applicable pre-employment and/or post-offer documents.
3. Notification to Principal Investigator and hire with approved start date of employment.
IV. Details of Policy
Selectees who have been identified to fill an RCUH job vacancy (Regular-Status employee) must follow the procedures described in the “Procedures” section below prior to commencing work. Failure to follow the procedures may result in a rescinding of the job offer.
A. Procedures for the Principal Investigator/Designee
1. Principal Investigator Must Approve Online ARSS After Job Offer Is Accepted (for Recruitment Only): After the job offer is accepted, you must access the “Authorize Request” panel of the applicable ARSS, approve Step 5, and save. Once saved, it will trigger an automatic email to the prospective employee with login information to the online Electronic Hiring System (EHS).
2. Principal Investigators May Need to Complete Section 2 of Form I-9: If the selectee is not able to meet with an RCUH Human Resources representative, you will be required to meet with the selectee to examine the original identity and employment authorization documents, ensure the selectee correctly completed Section 1 of the Form I-9, and complete Section 2. PI must forward I-9 and supporting documents to RCUH Human Resources for review. Upon confirmation of accurate completion, the original Form I-9 document (Section 1 & Section 2) must be mailed to the RCUH Human Resources Office immediately.
3. RCUH to Provide Start Date for New Hire: New hires are not approved to start employment until they receive confirmation by RCUH Human Resources.
B. Procedures for the Prospective New Hire/Selectee
1. Selectee Must Complete New Hire Appointment Documents Online: After the job offer is accepted by the prospective employee, the individual will receive an email
with login information (Login ID/Access Code) for the online Electronic Hiring System (EHS). The online new hire appointment documents must be completed as soon as possible but no later than two (2) business days prior to the recommended start date. At this time, the most compatible web browser is Firefox (ensure cookies are deleted, pop-up blocker is off). The EHS is not compatible for completion via mobile devices.
2. Selectee Must Have Manual Hardcopy Forms Completed (if applicable): Though most of the forms can be submitted electronically, there are a few forms which require manual handling and completion. This includes the Form I-9, which requires that the individual produce the original identify and employment authorization documents to a project representative or RCUH Human Resources representative.
3. Appointments with the RCUH Human Resources Office must be scheduled, as walk-ins will not be serviced. If the prospective employee is unable to meet with an RCUH Human Resources representative, a project representative will be required to meet with the individual to examine the original identify and employment authorization documents, ensure the selectee correctly completed Section 1 of the Form I-9 and complete Section 2. The project must forward I-9 and supporting documents to RCUH Human Resources for review. Upon confirmation of accurate completion, the original Form I-9 document (Section 1 & Section 2) must be mailed to the RCUH Human Resources Office immediately.
For those individuals who are unable to appear in person at the project office or RCUH Human Resources office (i.e., out-of-state hires), you must bring your completed Form I-9 and original identify and employment authorization documents to a Notary Public. The Notary Public will act as the RCUH’s authorized representative in examining the documents and witnessing the employee’s signature, as well as completing and signing Section 2 of the Form I- 9.
2. Selectee May Be Required to Complete Other Forms: Other required documents (i.e., copies of certifications, clearances, Dual Employment Form, Employment of Relatives and Other With Close Relationships Form, etc.) may be attached via EHS, mailed, faxed, or hand-delivered to the RCUH Human Resources office. Refer to applicable policies on Dual Employment and Employment of Relatives for more information.
3. Selectee May Not Start Work Until RCUH Approval Is Given: The job offer is contingent upon (1) the individual completing the online electronic hiring documents (EHS) and (2) RCUH Human Resources reviewing the new hire documents and approving the hire. Therefore, the prospective employee is not allowed to start working until approval is given by the RCUH Human Resources Department.
RCUH Employment: (808) 956-7307
VII. Relevant Documents
Policy 3.250 RCUH Dual Employment
Policy 3.255 RCUH Employment of Relatives and Other Close Relationships Electronic Hiring System (EHS)
Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification
M-274, Handbook for Employers, Guidance for Completing Form I-9
Date Revised: 4/25/17