RCUH Policies and Procedures
of the University of Hawai‘i
3.344 RCUH Holidays, Holiday Pay, and Administrative Leave With Pay
It is the policy of the RCUH to provide paid holidays to eligible regular-status employees. RCUH observes all holidays observed by the University of Hawai‘i and Hawai‘i State agencies.
A. RCUH Employee
1. Comply with work schedule and attendance procedures set forth by the Principal Investigator.
2. Note holidays on the Employee Time/Leave Certification Form. Salaried employees designate holidays as regular hours; hourly employees designate holidays as “HOL” on the “Paid Leave” column.
B. Principal Investigator
1. Ensure that attendance procedures (i.e., call-in requirements, leave requests, changes in work schedule) are clearly communicated to each employee. Enforce and monitor attendance procedures.
2. Ensure eligible employees receive their holiday pay either in the form of compensation or a holiday day off, in accordance with this policy.
3. Verify that holidays are properly recorded on the Employee Time/Leave Certification Form and submit them accordingly on the RCUH Online Timesheet.
This policy applies to all RCUH regular-status employees (regardless of FTE).
IV. Details of Policy
A. Holidays Observed at RCUH
1. New Year’s Day
2. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
3. Presidents’ Day
4. Prince Kuhio Day
5. Good Friday
6. Memorial Day
7. King Kamehameha Day
8. Independence Day
9. Statehood Day
10. Labor Day
11. General Election Day (when a general election is held) (no floating holiday allowed)
12. Veterans’ Day
13. Thanksgiving Day
14. Christmas Day
B. How Holiday Pay Is Administered
1. Holiday Pay for Regular-Status (Salaried and Hourly) Employees
a. Employees are given holiday pay in lieu of working on observed holidays. Holiday pay is based on the employee’s FTE (i.e., 100% FTE receives 8 hours of pay and 50% FTE receives 4 hours of pay), not on the employee’s work schedule for that day.
b. Employees who work on a holiday shall receive
i. Compensation in addition to the standard holiday pay described in B.1.a above. This additional compensation shall be paid for each hour the employee works on the holiday. The hourly rate shall be computed as either the straight-time hourly pay rate or at one and one-half (11⁄2) times the straight-time hourly pay rate if the employee’s total compensated hours for the workweek exceed 40.
ii. A floating holiday which is taken within 1 pay period of the end of the pay period in which the holiday is observed (not applicable to general election day).
2. Holiday for Hourly Employees
a. Holiday pay is provided for hourly employees in lieu of working on observed holidays when the holiday falls on a customarily scheduled workday. Holiday pay is based on the employee’s FTE (i.e., 100% FTE receives 8 hours of pay and 50% FTE receives 4 hours of pay), not on the employee’s work schedule for that day.
b. Employees who work on a holiday shall receive compensation in addition to the standard holiday pay described in B.1.a above. This additional compensation shall be paid for each hour the employee works on the holiday at their hourly pay rate or at one and one-half (11⁄2) times the employee’s hourly pay rate if the employee’s total compensated hours for the workweek exceed 40.
C. Holidays Falling on an Employee’s Day Off – If the holiday falls on the employee’s normal day off, the Principal Investigator may either authorize a floating holiday (not applicable to general election day) or compensation in addition to the standard holiday pay on the first normal scheduled workday after the holiday.
D. Holidays During an Employee’s Paid Leave Period – Holidays which occur during an employee’s authorized paid leave period (i.e., vacation, sick leave, etc., except for workers’ compensation insurance and long-term disability insurance) are paid as holidays. An employee must work or be paid on the normal scheduled day before and after the holiday to be paid holiday pay.
E. Holidays for Non-Traditional Work Schedules
1. Holidays for non-traditional work schedules (other than Monday through Friday or standard 8.0 hour workday) shall be observed on the same calendar day, but holiday pay will be limited to the employee’s FTE.
2. For holidays falling on an employee’s scheduled day off, the holiday will be observed on the first normal scheduled workday after the holiday’s calendar date.
3. An employee shall be compensated for the holiday provided the employee worked (or was on a paid leave, excluding workers’ compensation insurance and long- term disability insurance) on the normal scheduled workday immediately preceding the holiday and the normal scheduled workday immediately following the holiday.
F. Administrative Leave With Pay – Administrative leaves with pay declared as holiday or other administrative leave for State employees by the governor of the State of Hawai‘i will also be observed by RCUH employees.
A. Principal Investigators Must Ensure Holiday Pay Is Provided – Principal Investigators and/or designees must ensure eligible employees receive their holiday pay either in the form of compensation or a holiday day off, in accordance with this policy.
B. Procedures for Coding Timesheets for Holidays – Holiday hours for salaried employees are indicated as regular hours on the Employee Time/Leave Certification form. No special entries are required on the RCUH Online Timesheet.
Holiday hours for hourly employees are designated with the earnings code “HOL” on the “Paid Leave” column of the Employee Time/Leave Certification form. “HOL” is also added in the Other Earnings panel of the RCUH Online Timesheet.
C. Procedures for Coding Timesheets With Administrative Leave With Pay – When administrative leave with pay is authorized by the governor of the State of Hawai‘i, the RCUH will make available a special leave code for use on the RCUH Online Timesheets. Principal Investigators and/or designees may utilize the code for those regular-status employees eligible for the administrative leave with pay.
Payroll: (808) 956-7239
VII. Relevant Documents
Employee Time/Leave Certification Form Human Resources Portal
Date Revised: 4/25/17