RCUH Policies and Procedures
of the University of Hawai‘i
3.450 Outstanding Employee of the Year
The RCUH Board of Directors established an employee awards program to encourage, recognize, and reward RCUH employees who have made demonstrable, significant, and outstanding contributions to their project throughout the past year or years.
II. Applies To
This policy applies to any non-probationary, regular status employee. Non-probationary is defined to mean that the employee has been employed by the nominating program for at least one (1) year and has passed his/her initial probation. The employee must be in good standing with RCUH.
III. Details of Policy
This program may be modified or terminated at the discretion of the RCUH Board of Directors.
1. A Principal Investigator may submit one (1) nomination per year.
2. There are three (3) categories for nominations:
Researcher/Project Manager Professional (exempt regular status position)
Project Support Staff
(non-exempt regular status position)
(2-5 staff in exempt and/or non-exempt regular status positions)
An employee or team may be nominated in recognition of demonstrable, significant, and outstanding performance, contribution, or achievement to their project, such as:
• Contribution to the improvement of their project,
• Development and implementation of a single unique activity or outstanding
• Sustained outstanding performance throughout the past year or years, or
• Other outstanding performance.
3. The nomination must adhere to the requirements as stated on the current nomination form.
A Selection Committee will review the nominations and recommend awardees to the RCUH Executive Director. The RCUH Executive Director will determine the final awardees.
The following criteria will be used to evaluate all nominations:
• Initiative taken to develop the achievement or to advance the project.
• Leadership and resourcefulness in implementing the achievement or to advance
• Impact of achievement on the project, professional field, and/or larger
community. (PIs are encouraged to use quantifiable data whenever possible.)
• Other information on the importance, significance, and/or quality of the
1. All nominees will receive a certificate of recognition.
2. Cash awards may be made in each of the three (3) nomination categories.
§ $1,000: § $500:
First Place cash award
Second Place cash award
Cash award for all nominees. However, team nominees will receive $25/each.
Team awards for first and second place will be shared equally among team members (e.g., 1st Place team award with 5 nominees: each nominee will receive $200).
NOTE: Cash awards are considered additional pay and will be subject to payroll taxes per IRS regulations.
D. Recognition Program
RCUH will conduct an annual recognition program to honor all nominees and announce the awardees.
IV. Form Referenced in this Policy
Nomination Form for RCUH Outstanding Employee of the Year Questions?
Date Revised: 4/25/2017
(808) 988-8314 or -8315