RCUH Policies and Procedures
of the University of Hawai‘i
3.676 RCUH Blood Donation Leave
To encourage employees to donate blood, RCUH will provide continuing income which allows employees time off from work to donate blood.
II. Responsibilities Person Responsibilities
A. RCUH Employee
1. Comply with attendance procedures set forth by the Principal Investigator/designee.
2. Request the blood donation leave from the Principal Investigator/designee as soon as practicable. Notate blood donation leave period on the time report.
3. Return to work upon expiration of blood donation leave period (unless vacation was requested and approved by Principal Investigator/designee).
B. Principal Investigator
1. Ensure that attendance procedures (i.e., call-in requirements, leave requests, changes in work schedule) are clearly communicated to each employee. Enforce and monitor attendance procedures.
2. Review time report and ensure the blood donation leave period is recorded on the RCUH Employee Time/Leave Certification Form and properly submitted to RCUH Payroll by the applicable deadlines.
This policy applies to all RCUH regular-status employees regardless of FTE status. Temporary employees and student assistants are not eligible for blood donation leave; however, they may request to take leave of absence without pay according to Policy 3.650 RCUH Leave of Absence without Pay.
IV. Details of Policy
A. Length of Blood Donation Leave – A reasonable amount of administrative time off with pay shall be granted, not to exceed two (2) hours inclusive of time travel, to donate blood to the Blood Bank of Hawaii.
B. Leave Must Be Requested – Blood donation leave shall be granted subject to the approval of the employee’s Principal Investigator or authorized designee and is contingent upon operational requirements and the work schedule.
A. Procedures for an Employee Requesting Blood Donation Leave
1. Employee Must Submit Request to Principal Investigator/Designee: Employees must request blood donation leave in advance so daily work schedules can be accommodated.
2. Employee Must Notate Time Report: Blood donation leave must be noted with earnings code “LBD” on the “Paid Leave” column of the Employee Time/Leave Certification Form.
3. For Blood Donation Leave in Excess of Two (2) Hours: Any excess time taken (more than two hours) shall be charged to vacation leave.
B. Procedures for the Principal Investigator/Designee Who Has an Employee Requesting Blood Donation Leave
1. The Blood Donation Leave Period Must Be Reported on the RCUH HR AMP Online Timesheet: The Principal Investigator must report the employee’s blood donation leave on the “Other Earnings” tab of the online timesheet with the earnings code “LBD.”
2. Though not required by RCUH Payroll, the Principal Investigator may request that the employee submit a blood donation receipt provided by the Blood Bank of Hawaii.
VI. Contact Phone Number Email: RCUH Benefits: (808) 956-6979 [email protected]
VII. Relevant Documents
Employee Time/Leave Certification Form
Payroll Processing Schedule
Policy 3.650 RCUH Leave of Absence without Pay
Date Revised: 4/25/17