RCUH Policies and Procedures
of the University of Hawai‘i
3.678 RCUH Administrative Leave for Parent–Teacher Conference
This policy has been developed to implement Section 78-31, Hawaii Revised Statutes, Parent–Teacher Conference Leave. It is the RCUH’s policy to provide parents with continuing income and time off from work to attend scheduled parent–teacher conferences regarding their children.
II. Responsibilities Responsibilities
A. RCUH Employee
1. Comply with attendance procedures set forth by the Principal Investigator/designee.
2. Request administrative leave as soon as practicable by completing the RCUH Administrative Leave for Parent–Teacher Conference Request Form (Form B-1).
3. Notate administrative leave period on the Employee Time/Leave Certification Form and attach the completed RCUH Administrative Leave for Parent–Teacher Conference Request Form (Form B-1).
4. Return to work upon expiration of administrative leave period.
B. Principal Investigator
1. Ensure that attendance procedures (i.e., call-in requirements, leave requests, changes in work schedule) are clearly communicated to each employee. Enforce and monitor attendance procedures.
2. Review time report and ensure that the Parent–Teacher Conference Administrative Leave period is recorded and properly submitted to RCUH Payroll on the RCUH HR AMP online timesheet by the applicable deadline with the required supporting documentation.
This policy applies to all RCUH regular-status employees regardless of FTE status.
Temporary/Intermittent employees and student assistants are not eligible for administrative time off to attend parent–teacher conferences. However, they may request to take a leave of absence without pay according to Policy 3.650 RCUH Leave of Absence without Pay.
IV. Details of Policy
A. Definitions Relating to Administrative Leave to Attend Parent–Teacher Conference
1. Parent: Employees who are parents or legal guardians of children.
2. Child: Employee’s natural child, legally adopted child, or child for whom the employee is legally responsible (including civil union partner’s children).
B. Provisions of Administrative Leave to Attend Parent–Teacher Conference
1. Administrative leave to attend mutually scheduled parent–teacher conferences during normal work hours may be granted to employees with children in grades K through 12 (public or private school), or a preschool-aged child attending a licensed group child care center pursuant to Section 346-151, HRS, Child Care.
2. A reasonable amount of time off with pay shall be granted, not to exceed two (2) hours inclusive of travel time, to attend parent–teacher conferences.
3. Such administrative time off shall be allowed for up to two (2) conferences per child during a single calendar year (January–December).
C. Scheduling of Parent–Teacher Conferences – Employees are advised to schedule such conferences so they will not adversely interfere with the operations of the respective work unit or affect project activities.
D. When Both Parents Are RCUH Employees – In situations where both parents are RCUH employees, both individuals may be granted time off to attend parent–teacher conferences.
E. Administrative Leave Must Be Approved by Principal Investigator – Leave is subject to the approval of the Principal Investigator or authorized designee. However, it is advised that Principal Investigators provide every effort to provide this time off to permit employee/parent participation in the education of their children.
A. Procedures for Employees Requesting Administrative Time Off to Attend Parent– Teacher Conference
1. Employee Must Request Leave: The employee/parent must submit a request for administrative leave in advance by completing the RCUH Administrative Leave for Parent–Teacher Conference Request Form (Form B-1), which must be submitted to and approved by the Principal Investigator or authorized designee.
2. Employee Must Obtain Teacher Certification: The employee must present the RCUH Administrative Leave for Parent–Teacher Conference Request Form (Form B-1) to the teacher and obtain his/her signature.
3. Employee Must Notate Employee Time/Leave Certification Form: The administrative time off for parent–teacher conference period must be noted on the Employee Time/Leave Certification Form with earnings code “LPT” on the “Paid Leave” column and submitted to the Principal Investigator along with the completed RCUH Administrative Leave for Parent–Teacher Conference Request Form (Form B-1).
4. For Administrative Leave in Excess of Two (2) Hours: Any excess time taken (more than two (2) hours) shall be charged to vacation leave (or leave without pay if employee does not have available vacation leave).
B. Procedures for the Principal Investigator/Designee Who Has an Employee Requesting Administrative Leave
1. Principal Investigator/Designee Must Review Request for Administrative Leave: Approval of leave may be given, provided that the absence of the employee does not adversely interfere with the operations of the work unit and the granting of such time off will not incur additional human resource or overtime costs.
2. The Administrative Leave Period Must Be Noted on the RCUH HR AMP Online Timesheet: The Principal Investigator must report the employee’s Parent–Teacher Conference leave on the “Other Earnings” tab of the online timesheet with the code “LPT.” The Employee Time/Leave Certification Form and completed RCUH Administrative Leave for Parent–Teacher Conference Request Form (Form B-1) must also be submitted to the RCUH Payroll Office by the applicable payroll deadline. See HR AMP Time Reporting Procedures for more information.
VI. Contact Phone Number Email: RCUH Benefits: (808) 956-6979 [email protected]
VII. Relevant Documents
RCUH Administrative Leave for Parent–Teacher Conference Request Form (Form B-1)
Employee Time/Leave Certification Form
HR AMP Time Reporting Procedures
Personnel Action and Payroll Processing Schedule
Policy 3.650 Leave of Absence Without Pay
Section 78-31, Hawaii Revised Statutes, Parent–Teacher Conference Leave Section 346-151, HRS, Child Care
Date Revised: 4/25/17