RCUH Policies and Procedures
of the University of Hawai‘i
3.710 RCUH HR Portal System Access and Security
It is the policy of the RCUH to protect our employees’ personally identifiable information and other confidential personnel records. Requests for access to any Human Resources-, Benefits-, and Payroll-related information via the Human Resources Portal require approval from the Principal Investigator, Fiscal Administrator (for UH service-ordered projects only), and RCUH Director of Human Resources or designee. This is to ensure the security of the information and to maintain the confidentiality of the personnel data and information.
A. Principal Investigator
1. Complete the Human Resources Portal Access & Principal Investigator Delegation of Authority Form for each person requiring access to the HR Portal, and select the appropriate access level. Sign the form to signify approval.
2. Forward the completed Human Resources Portal Access & Principal Investigator Delegation of Authority Form to RCUH Human Resources for review, approval and processing.
3. For terminated UH staff (i.e., staff no longer working for your program): Submit a new Human Resources Portal Access & Principal Investigator Delegation of Authority Form indicating immediate cancellation of HR Portal access. If user is an RCUH employee, RCUH Human Resources will cancel their HR Portal access upon termination of employment.
B. Fiscal Administrator (UH Service-Ordered Projects Only)
1. Review the request ensuring that the request and access level is appropriate and there are no conflicts within the terms and conditions of the grant, contract, and/or university policy.
2. Endorse via signature on the Human Resources Portal Access & Principal Investigator Delegation of Authority Form.
C. Users Requiring HR Portal Access
1. Review the conditions on the Human Resources Portal Access & Principal Investigator Delegation of Authority Form.
This policy applies to all Principal Investigators, Fiscal Administrators, and project support staff who require access to RCUH’s HR Portal system.
IV. Details of Policy
A. Only the Official Principal Investigator (PI) May Authorize Access and Delegation of Authority to Trusted and Responsible Staff –The Principal Investigator may delegate approval authority for personnel and/or payroll actions on the RCUH HR Portal and manual forms, including submission of the RCUH Online Timesheet, to staff members provided there are no restrictions with the grant, contract, and/or RCUH or university policy that would prohibit this action. Unless otherwise stated, only the PI named on the account (in the RCUH Financial Portal) may authorize and approve access to the RCUH HR Portal.
1. Delegations of authority are appropriate where the delegation will enhance the effectiveness and efficiency of the operation without compromising the integrity of the internal control necessary for accountability. Persons who improperly delegate or misuse delegated authority may be subject to investigation and action, which may include removal of authority or disciplinary action leading to and including termination of employment.
B. Four (4) Types of HR Portal-Access Levels – The four (4) access levels for the RCUH HR Portal are as follows:
1. Principal Investigator (PI): Allows the individual to input and approve all online transactions for his/her employees. The official PI is ultimately responsible for certifying the accuracy and authenticity of all online HR transactions processed for staff members who were delegated authority to take actions for the PI.
2. Supervisory Authority: Allows the individual to input and approve online transactions on behalf of the PI indicated on the Distribution Code. Individuals with Supervisory Authority may approve manual personnel and/or payroll transactions on behalf of the PI indicated on the Distribution Code.
3. Administrative Authority: Allows the individual to input online transactions. This type of authority does not allow an individual to authorize or approve transactions.
4. Fiscal Administrator (FA): (UH service-ordered projects only) Allows the individual to authorize online transactions on behalf of the official FA who is designated as FA on the account that is being affected.
C. Users May Be Given Authorization, But They Cannot Act On Their Own Behalf – Users cannot process or approve their own personnel and/or payroll actions. Such transactions must be approved by the Principal Investigator or another University official of equal or higher authority. Internal controls and proper segregation of duties must be followed. Non-compliance may lead to corrective action including, but not limited to, rescinding delegation and in extreme cases, disciplinary actions.
D. Users With Supervisory Authority Access May Be Allowed to Approve Actions in the Principal Investigator’s Absence – In the occasional absence of the PI, a user with supervisory access may be allowed to input and approve actions on the PI’s behalf. Since users are authorized to approve transactions, they share in the responsibility for certifying the accuracy and authenticity of all transactions and time reporting. Users are not allowed to approve their own personnel and/or payroll transactions.
E. Official Principal Investigator Is Ultimately Responsible for Actions Processed via HR Portal – It is the responsibility of the PI to certify the accuracy and authenticity of all online HR transactions and time reporting processed regardless of the delegation granted to his/her staff members.
F. Fiscal Administrators (for UH Service-Ordered Projects) Must Approve All Requests for Access to the HR Portal – The official FA (as designated on the established account in the RCUH Financial Portal), or designee, must review and authorize all requests made by the PI for HR Portal access regardless of access type.
G. Authorized HR Portal Applications – The official PI can choose the HR Portal applications that the user is authorized to access. Below are the available combinations:
1. Access to ALL HR Portal applications (time reporting, ePAF, non-recruited hire actions, position requisitions, applicant selections)
2. Access to all HR Portal applications EXCEPT time reporting
3. Access to ONLY time reporting application
A. Steps for Delegation
1. Human Resources Portal Access & PI Delegation of Authority Form Must Be Completed – Requests for access to any Human Resources-, Benefits-, and Payroll-related information requires that the Human Resources Portal Access & Principal Investigator Delegation of Authority Form be completed for each person.
2. User Acknowledgement – Users requiring access to the HR Portal must review, acknowledge, and sign the Human Resources Portal Access & Principal Investigator Delegation of Authority Form.
3. Obtain Principal Investigator and Fiscal Administrator Approval – The form must then be submitted for approval by the requestor’s PI and FA.
4. Forward to RCUH Human Resources for Review/Approval – After the program’s PI and FA approve the form, it will be reviewed by the RCUH Director of Human Resources (or designee). If approved, the form is forwarded to the system administrator for processing. If access is denied, the RCUH Director of Human Resource (or designee) will contact the PI explaining why access is being denied.
B. RCUH System Administrator Will Send Login Information to the New User – If approved, the RCUH system administrator will email the new user their login information to the HR Portal. Users are responsible for keeping their login and password information confidential, safe, and secure. Users should exercise caution while using public computers and networks, especially for storing and/or accessing their login, password, and/or other sensitive information.
C. Changing the PI of an Existing Distribution Code – Change the PI as designated on the account through the RCUH Financial Portal. After the account has been changed to the new PI, send RCUH Human Resources a memo signed by the new PI stating
that he/she will be responsible for all employees and processed transactions within the specified distribution code. Submittal of the Human Resources Portal Access & Principal Investigator Delegation of Authority Form is not required, however the new PI must review all users who currently have access to the specified distribution code and confirm continued access, or request to remove/cancel user access.
D. Cancellation of HR Portal Access for Terminated Staff (Non-RCUH Employee) – Submit a new Human Resources Portal Access & Principal Investigator Delegation of Authority Form indicating immediate cancellation of HR Portal access for staff no longer working for your program. If the user is an RCUH employee, RCUH Human Resources will cancel their access upon termination of employment.
VI. Contact Phone Number Email: Information Systems: (808) 956-6318 [email protected]
VII. Relevant Documents
Human Resources Portal Access & Principal Investigator Delegation of Authority Form Date Revised: 4/25/17