RCUH Policies and Procedures
Individual Cash Advance Request Form
(for use in connection with research activity conducted in foreign countries)
The terms on page 2 are an integral part of this form.
Custodian Name (if applicable)
Advance Period (to/from)
Description of Research Activity
Advance Budget by Expense Category (attach additional sheets, as necessary)
Justification for Cash Advance fund. Explain why payments directly to vendors is not feasible.
Custodian of cash, if not PI
Approved by Fiscal Administrator, College/Institute
Approved by Dept Chairman
Approved by Dean/Director
Individual Cash Advance Terms
1. The Custodian/PI for an advance is responsible for the security of the advanced funds, including the international transportation of cash.
2. The Custodian/PI is responsible for the allowability, allocability, and reasonableness of goods and services at the time of procurement; and for being knowledgeable of the UH, RCUH and funding source rules and regulations that will apply to the expenditure.
3. The Custodian/PI should not disburse payment until goods are received or services are completed. Adequate documentation to substantiate an expense is explained in Exhibit A (attached). The PI is responsible for compliance with host country labor and tax laws.
4. The cash advance is will not be used for the types of expenditures listed in Exhibit B (attached).
5. The UH Form WH-1, Statement of Citizenship and Residence for Tax Purposes, or IRS Form W8 as appropriate, shall be attached to the post-trip documentation.
6. The documentation and reporting relating to the advance is the joint responsibility of the PI and Fiscal Administrator. The Fiscal Administrator is responsible to review the custodian/PI’s post-trip documentation to ensure that the expenditures are allowable and have been adequately documented to comply with the award’s requirements and UH and RCUH policies before the expenditures are posted to the award account.
7. The individuals signing on behalf of the UH Department/School/College acknowledge the responsibility of the Department/School/College to reimburse RCUH for any amount of the advance, for which amounts spent were disallowed by the award sponsor.
1. Original receipts shall be provided for all expenditures and include at a minimum, the name of the vendor/payee, amount paid, date or period, location, and a description of the type of goods or services provided. The receipts should be organized and itemized in an expenditure summary and totaled in such a way that a reviewer can easily trace an expense from the summary to the receipt.
2. Expenditures and conversion to U.S. dollars. Use the exchange rate obtained at the time of currency conversion. Make sure to save all of the exchange transaction receipts to convert foreign receipts to U.S. dollars. For multiple exchange transactions, use the “first in, first out method” by spending down the first block of funds purchased at that specific rate then spend down the next block of funds that was purchased at that next specific exchange rate.
3. When the advance is used for labor services, the documentation should include, at a minimum, the name and signature of the person paid, the amount paid, country of tax residency, a description of the number of hours or days worked, hourly or daily pay rate, and the date, location and type of work performed by each person. A blank receipt book may be used for this purpose, as long as all of the required information is included on the receipt.
The individual cash advance shall be administered in accordance with all applicable laws, State policies and procedures, and RCUH policies and procedures. The advance shall not be used to make payment for any of the following purposes:
1. Employee compensation
2. Employee moving allowance reimbursements
5. Parceling of vendor payments
6. Payments on outstanding POs
7. Scholarships and Fellowships