RCUH Policies and Procedures
Research Corporation of the University of Hawai‘i
Human Resources Department
TELEPHONE REFERENCE CHECK FORM
(Must be a job-related supervisory reference)
Instruction: Required for all Regular Status recruitments. This Reference Check form provides you with a set of questions to determine whether the applicant meets your project’s job requirements. Inform the person you are speaking to that this is a CONFIDENTIAL process and to provide you with only factual information.
Name of the Applicant:
Person Contacted – Name, Company, Phone #:
1. CONFIRM WORK EXPERIENCE/PERFORMANCE: Ask the person to describe the applicant’s work duties and performance at the company he/she last worked:
2. CONFIRM DATES OF EMPLOYMENT AND COMPENSATION: Please confirm the period the applicant worked for your company from ____________ to ____________ and his/her pay rate was _______________________________. Is this accurate? If not, what is the correct information?
3. APPLICANT’S ABILITY TO PERFORM THE JOB HE/SHE HAS APPLIED FOR AND DETERMINE IF APPLICANT IS A GOOD FIT TO YOUR ORGANIZATION: Briefly describe the job’s duties, work environment (e.g., indoors, outdoors, etc.) and your expectations (e.g., attendance, compliance to work rules, work ethics, etc.), your management style (e.g., passive, liberal, strict, etc.). Ask the person: (1) Based on the description provided, do you feel applicant can perform competently in this job? (2) Why do you feel the applicant can perform the job and meet your expectations?
4. Ask the person: If there is one thing the applicant could improve on the job what would that be? Why?
5. Would you rehire applicant? ☐ YES ☐ NO. If no, explain why.
Completed by: ________________________________ _______________________________ Print Name/Signature Date
RCUH Form E-4
Created 02/07/01 (Revised 09/23/06; 08/04/10; 03/04/11, 06/21/12, 03/16/16)