RCUH Policies and Procedures
of the University of Hawai‘i
Human Resources Department
TAX TREATY STATEMENT FOR TEACHERS AND RESEARCHES People’s Republic of China
1. I was a resident of the People’s Republic of China on the date of my arrival in the United States. I am not a U.S. citizen.
2. I am visiting the United States for the primary purpose of teaching, giving lectures, or conducting research at _______________________ [insert the name of the educational institution or scientific research institution at which you teach, lecture, or conduct research], which is an accredited educational institution or scientific research institution. I will receive compensation for my teaching, lecturing, or research activities.
3. The teaching, lecturing, or research compensation received during the entire tax year (or during the period from ___________ to _________ ) qualifies for exemption from withholding of federal tax under the tax treaty between the United States and the People’s Republic of China. I have not previously claimed an income tax exemption under that treaty for income received as a teacher, lecturer, researcher, or student before the date of my arrival in the United States.
4. Any research I perform will be undertaken in the public interest and not primarily for the private benefit of a specific person or persons.
5. I arrived in the United States on _____________ [insert the date of your last arrival in the United States before beginning your teaching, lecturing, or research activities]. The treaty exemption is available only for compensation received during a maximum aggregate period of three years.
______________________________________ _____________________ Name (please print) Date