RCUH Policies and Procedures
of the University of Hawai‘i
Human Resources Department
TAX TREATY STATEMENT FOR TEACHERS AND RESEARCHES India
1. I was a resident of India on the date of my arrival in the United States. I am not a U.S. citizen. I have not been lawfully accorded the privilege of residing permanently in the United States as an immigrant.
2. I am visiting the United States for the purpose of teaching or conducting research at ______________________________ [insert the name of the university, college, or other recognized educational institution]. I will receive compensation for my teaching or research activities.
3. The teaching or research compensation received during the entire tax year (or during the period from _____________ to ___________ ) for these activities qualifies for exemption from withholding of federal tax under the tax treaty between the United States and India.
4. Any research I perform will be undertaken in the public interest and not primarily for the private benefit of a specific person or persons.
5. I arrived in the United States on _____________ [insert the date of your last arrival into the United States before beginning the services for which the exemption is claimed]. The treaty exemption is available only for compensation paid during a period of two years beginning on that date.
______________________________________ _____________________ Name (please print) Date