RCUH Policies and Procedures
of the University of Hawai‘i
Human Resources Department
TAX TREATY STATEMENT FOR TEACHERS AND RESEARCHES Indonesia
1. I was a resident of Indonesia on the date of my arrival in the United States. I am not a U.S. citizen. I have not been lawfully accorded the privilege of residing permanently in the United States as an immigrant.
2. I have accepted an invitation by _______________________ [insert the name of the university, college, school, or other similar educational institution] to come to the United States solely for the purpose of teaching or engaging in research at that educational institution. I will receive compensation for my teaching or research activities.
3. The teaching or research compensation received during the entire tax year (or during the period from ___________ to ___________ ) qualifies for exemption from withholding of federal tax under the tax treaty between the United States and Indonesia. I have not previously claimed an income tax exemption under that treaty for income received as a teacher or researcher before the date specified in the next paragraph.
4. I arrived in the United States on ______________ [insert the date of your arrival into the United States before beginning the teaching or research services for which the exemption is claimed]. The treaty exemption is available only for compensation paid during a period of two years beginning on that date.
5. Any research I perform will be undertaken in the public interest and not primarily for the private benefit of a specific person or persons.
______________________________________ _____________________ Name (please print) Date