RCUH Policies and Procedures
of the University of Hawai‘i
Human Resources Department
TAX TREATY STATEMENT FOR TEACHERS AND RESEARCHES Israel
1. I was a resident of Israel on the date of my arrival in the United States. I am not a U.S. citizen. I have not been lawfully accorded the privilege of residing permanently in the United States as an immigrant.
2. I have accepted an invitation by the U.S. government (or by a political subdivision or local authority thereof), or by a university or other recognized educational institution in the United States, to come to the United States for a period not expected to exceed two years for the purpose of teaching or engaging in research at ___________________________ [insert the name of the educational institution], which is a recognized educational institution. I will receive compensation for my teaching or research activities.
3. The teaching or research compensation received during the entire tax year (or for the portion of the year from _____________ to ___________ ) qualifies for exemption from withholding of federal tax under the tax treaty between the United States and Israel. I have not previously claimed an income tax exemption under this treaty for income received as a teacher, researcher, or student before the date of my arrival in the United States.
4. Any research I perform will be undertaken in the public interest and not primarily for the private benefit of a specific person or persons.
5. I arrived in the United States on _____________ [insert the date of your last arrival in the United States before beginning the teaching or research services for which exemption is claimed]. The treaty exemption is available only for compensation received during a period of two years beginning on that date.
______________________________________ _____________________ Name (please print) Date