RCUH Policies and Procedures
of the University of Hawai‘i
Human Resources Department
TAX TREATY STATEMENT FOR TEACHERS AND RESEARCHES Italy
1. I was a resident of Italy on the date of my arrival in the United States. I am not a U.S. citizen. I have not been accorded the privilege of residing permanently in the United States as an immigrant.
2. I am a professor or teacher visiting the United States for the purpose of teaching or performing research at ______________ [insert the name of the educational institution or medical facility at which you teach or perform research], which is a recognized educational institution or a medical facility primarily funded from governmental sources. I will receive compensation for my teaching or research activities.
3. The compensation received during the entire tax year (or during the period from __________ to _________ ) qualifies for exemption from withholding of federal tax under the tax treaty between the United States and Italy. I have not previously claimed an income tax exemption under that treaty for income received as a teacher, researcher, or student before the date of my arrival in the United States.
4. Any research I perform will be undertaken in the general interest and not primarily for the private benefit of a specific person or persons.
5. I arrived in the United States on ____________ [insert the date of your last arrival in the United States before beginning the teaching or research services for which exemption is claimed]. The treaty exemption is available only for compensation received during a period of two years beginning on that date.
______________________________________ _____________________ Name (please print) Date