RCUH Policies and Procedures
of the University of Hawai‘i
Human Resources Department
TAX TREATY STATEMENT FOR TEACHERS AND RESEARCHES Norway
1. I was a resident of Norway on the date of my arrival in the United States. I am not a U.S. citizen. I have not been lawfully accorded the privilege of residing permanently in the United States as an immigrant.
2. I have accepted an invitation by the U.S. government, or by a university or other recognized educational institution in the United States for a period not expected to exceed two years for the purpose of teaching or engaging in research at _______________________ [insert the name of the educational institution], which is a recognized educational institution. I will receive compensation for my teaching or research activities.
3. The teaching or research compensation qualifies for exemption from withholding of federal tax under the tax treaty between the United States and Norway. I have not previously claimed an income tax exemption under this treaty for income received as a teacher, researcher, or student before the date of my arrival in the United States.
4. Any research I perform will not be undertaken primarily for the private benefit of a specific person or persons.
5. I arrived in the United States on _______________ [insert the date of your last arrival in the United States before beginning the teaching or research services for which exemption is claimed]. The treaty exemption is available only for compensation received during a period of two years beginning on that date.
______________________________________ _____________________ Name (please print) Date