RCUH Policies and Procedures
of the University of Hawai‘i
Human Resources Department
TAX TREATY STATEMENT FOR TEACHERS AND RESEARCHES Thailand
1. IwasaresidentofThailandonthedateofmyarrivalintheUnitedStates.IamnotaU.S. citizen. I have not been lawfully accorded the privilege of residing permanently in the United States as an immigrant.
2. I am visiting the United States for the purpose of teaching or engaging in research at___________________ [insert the name of the educational or research institution at which you teach or perform research] for a period not exceeding two years. I will receive compensation for my teaching or research activities.
3. The compensation received during the entire tax year (or during the period from ______ to ________ ) for these activities qualifies for exemption from withholding of federal tax under the tax treaty between the United States and Thailand. I have not previously claimed an income tax exemption under that treaty for income received as a teacher, researcher, or student before the date of my arrival in the United States.
4. Any research I perform will be undertaken in the public interest and not primarily for the benefit of a specific person or persons.
5. I arrived in the United States on _____________ [insert the date of your last arrival into the United States before beginning the teaching or research services for which exemption is claimed]. The treaty exemption is available only for compensation received during a period of two years beginning on that date.
______________________________________ _____________________ Name (please print) Date