RCUH Policies and Procedures
of the University of Hawai‘i
Human Resources Department
TAX TREATY STATEMENT FOR TEACHERS AND RESEARCHES Trinidad and Tobago
1. I was a resident of ________________on the date of my arrival in the United States. I am not a U.S. citizen. I have not been lawfully accorded the privilege of residing permanently in the United States as an immigrant.
2. I have accepted an invitation by the U.S. government, or by a university or other educational institution in the United States, to come to the United States for the purpose of teaching or engaging in research at ____________________________ [insert the name of the educational institution], which is an educational institution approved by an appropriate governmental education authority. No agreement exists between the government of the United States and the government of Trinidad and Tobago for the provision of my services. I will receive compensation for my teaching or research services.
3. The teaching or research compensation received during the entire tax year (or for the period from ______ to ______) qualifies for exemption from withholding of federal tax under the tax treaty between the United States and Trinidad and Tobago. I have not previously claimed an income tax exemption under that treaty for income received as a teacher, researcher, or student before the date of my arrival in the United States.
4. Any research I perform will be undertaken in the public interest and not primarily for the private benefit of a specific person or persons.
5. I arrived in the United States on __________ [insert the date of your last arrival in the United States before beginning the teaching or research services for which exemption is claimed]. The treaty exemption is available only for compensation received during a period of two years beginning on that date.
______________________________________ _____________________ Name (please print) Date