RCUH Policies and Procedures
of the University of Hawai‘i
Human Resources Department
TAX TREATY STATEMENTS FOR STUDENTS France
1. I was a resident of France on the date of my arrival in the United States. I am not a U.S. citizen. I have not been lawfully accorded the privilege of residing permanently in the United States as an immigrant.
2. I am temporarily present in the United States for the primary purpose of studying at _____________________________________________ [insert the name of the accredited university, college, school or other educational institution].
3. I will receive compensation for personal services performed in the United States. This compensation qualifies for exemption from withholding of federal income tax under the tax treaty between the United States and France in an amount not in excess of $5,000 for any taxable year. I have not previously claimed an income tax exemption under this treaty for income received as a teacher, researcher, or student before the date of my arrival in the United States.
4. I will be present in the United States only for such period of time as may be reasonably or customarily required to effectuate the purpose of this visit.
5. I arrived in the United States on _________________________ [insert the date of your last arrival in the United States before beginning study at the U.S. educational institution]. The treaty exemption is available only for compensation paid during a period of five tax years.
______________________________________ _____________________ Name (please print) Date